Accessible only by private boat or park ferry
The predominant natural communities are floodplain swamp, floodplain marsh, mesic flatwoods and hydric hammock.
The island can be circumnavigated with a nine and a half-mile (14 km) day trip; Blue Spring State Park is a short paddle up the St. Johns (3.5 miles) one way. Amenities include canoe rentals, bike paths, 12 tent sites, and six rustic cabins.
The park is open from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- boating, canoeing, kayaking, and overnight boat slip rentals
- hiking – a total of 8 mi of trails (Hammock hiking trail is 1.5 mi of foot traffic only. The other trails are foot traffic and bicycle friendly.)
- picnicking and playground equipment
- nature viewing and photography
- a lending library with picture books for children aged four to nine
Hontoon Island is open for day use. Our picnic area, trails and marina restrooms are open. The parking lot is open and visitors can arrive via the St. Johns River. Overnight accommodations and the ferry are not open at this time. The horseshoe pits are no longer available.